Monday, November 8, 2010

Soliloquy

so·lil·o·quy


noun \sə-ˈli-lə-kwē\
plural so·lil·o·quies

Definition of SOLILOQUY  (Mirriam-Webster)


1: the act of talking to oneself
2: a dramatic monologue that represents a series of unspoken reflections


Okay....I love this word! I hear it often and I thought it was a type of rambling conversation, but I really wasn't sure until I looked it up today. Last night I heard it on one of my favorite TV shows, "Brothers and Sisters".....and I thought, Okay, I must look that up...  (and then I actually remembered the word without writing it down!)

Probably the most famous example of a soliloquy is Hamlet's:

"To be or not to be-that is the question
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer"...blah blah blah..
(no disrespect to William... it's just that it goes on and on and on)

I soliloquize often. At least now when my daughter shakes her head, rolls her eyes and looks at me half amused; half pathetically as she catches me soliloquizing yet once more (that day...)  -- I can hold my head up with pride and say to her, 

"What are you looking at?  Haven't you ever seen a soliloquist before?"




2 comments:

  1. My husband walked into the room whilst I was in the middle of a soliloquy, but the very act of being in the room meant it was a soliloquy no more

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be the soliloquy master, Mom... Always talking to yourself :) Don't worry, I've heard it's a sign of intelligence!

    ReplyDelete