Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Circumspect

Circumspect (adj.)   

todays definition is from vocabulary.com

Definition: unwilling to act without first weighing the risks or consequences
Synonyms: prudent, cautious, watchful, guarded, wary
Antonyms: audacious, foolhardy, careless, heedless


Tips: Circumspect is derived from the Latin circumspicere, “to look around,” from specere, “to look.” Think of looking around (inspecting) suspiciously and carefully before making a decision or taking action. For a memory trick, note how circumspect sounds "like search and inspect." Before making a decision, a person who is circumspect will "search and inspect" carefully. Circumspect is synonymous with prudent and wary. See a detailed analysis at prudent and at wary.



Sentence:  I spent a lot of money the last time I went into New York City to shop, so when I go in next week, I will be more circumspect. (cautious, prudent)

...have a great Wednesday everyone....now I'm off for a hike with my hiking group!

No comments:

Post a Comment